Small Business Start up Guide on Making Dried Fish– Tuyo is a tagalog word meaning dried. The process of salting and drying preserves the fish that can be stored for months. Salted fish drying is seasonally done for six months, pertaining to the summer season when there is only little amount of rain and the producers have ample time to dry and preserve the fish.
Strainer Bowl, 10 pcs
Big Basins, 6 pcs
Trays (12×8 inches), 8 pcs
Brining Container, 6 pcs
Polyethylene plastic (.002” thick), 100 pcs
Weighing scale for fish (1-10kgs)
Plastic Sealer (for sealing of plastic bags)
Wire screen mesh (12 m. cut in half)
Fresh Tunsoy fish, 60 kilos
Salt, 6.5 kls. (for every 60 kls. of fish)
1. Thoroughly wash the Tunsoy fish with clean and fresh water. Place in a strainer for 20 minutes to drain.
2. Prepare the brine solution (i.e., mixture of water and salt). For a 60-kg fresh fish, use 6.5 kls. of salt and 5 gallons of water.
3. Soak the fish in the brine solution for three hours.
4. Transfer the fish into a strainer to drain.
5. Rinse the fish thoroughly under running water to wash off excess salt.
6. Place brined fish in a single layer on a 6-m. wire screen mesh.
7. Cover the fish with the other half of the wire screen to protect it from flies and dust.
8. Dry under the sun for two to three days depending on the size of the fish. It is advisable to dry the fish under the sun for three to four hours in the morning and air dry in room temperature to prevent rapid rate of drying.
9. Turn the fish over every hour or two for even drying. A well-dried fish is light in weight and the meat is tender.
10. Weigh, pack, seal, and store the fish at room temperature.
Salted fish drying is done for 22 days/month.
60-kg. fish produces 40-kg. of salted dried fish.
Sources on procedures:
Sustainable Livelihood Options for the Philippines – An Information Kit (Coastal Ecosystem). Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)
Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – Industrial Technology Development Institute
Business Name Registration
Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) within NCR
a) 12/F, Trafalgar Plaza,
105 H.V. Dela Costa St., Salcedo Village, Makati City
Tel. No.: 811.8232 loc 208
b) 2/F, Park N’ Ride, Lawton,
P. Burgos Ave., Dr. Basa St., Ermita, Manila
Tel. No.: 536.7153
c) G/F, Highway 54 Plaza,
EDSA, Mandaluyong City (across SM Megamall),
Tel. No.: 706.1767
d) 5/F, Araneta Square Mall,
Monumento Circle, Kalookan City
Tel. Nos.: 332.0854 / 332.0829
DTI Office in the province where the business is located
www.bnrs.dti.gov.ph for online registration
Validity : 5 years
Local municipality or city where the business is located
Validity : 1 year
Tax Identification Number (TIN)
Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
BIR National Office Bldg.,
Agham Road, Diliman, Quezon City
Trunkline: (632) 981.7000 / 981.8888
BIR Regional or District Office where the business is located
From the Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD)
Civic Drive, Filinvest Corporate City,
Alabang, Muntinlupa City
Tel. No.: (632) 807.0721 / 842.5606
BFAD Office in the province where the business is located
Validity: 1 year
Small Business Corporation
17/F and 18/F, Antel Corporate Center,
139 Valero Street, Salcedo Village, Makati City
Tel. No.: (632) 751.1888
(Direct lending for individual borrower with an asset size of P 500,000 – P100M)
People’s Credit and Finance Corporation
2/F, Accelerando Building,
395 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City
Tel. Nos.: (632) 897.8521 / 752.3745
Fax No. (632) 325.0448 / 49
National Livelihood Development Corporation (NLDC)
4/F, Hanston Building, F. Ortigas Jr. Road,
Ortigas Center, Pasig City
Tel. Nos.: (632) 914.7290 to 97 or 631.2955 / 57
Department of Science and Technology – Science and Technology Information Institute (DOST-STII)
Gen. Santos Ave., Upper Bicutan, Taguig, Metro Manila
Tel. Nos.: (632) 837.2191 to 95 / Telefax: (632) 837.7520
Technology Resource Center (TRC)
TLRC Building, 103 J. Abad Santos cor.
Lopez Jaena Sts., Little Baguio, San Juan, Metro Manila
Tel. No.: (632) 727.6205
Technical Education and Skills Development Authority Women’s Center
37 East Service Road, South Superhighway, Taguig City
Telefax: No.: (632) 818.8062
Trunkline: (632) 814.4076 loc. 278