6 Easy Steps to Make Beaded Bags and Earn Money — You can make money selling beaded bags to teenagers and older women. All you need is a sewing machine and some tools and materials, sewing and beading skills, some creativity, and lots of patience to come up with something people can’t resist. With a start-up capital of P550.00, you can make 3 bags working only 1 to 2 hours.
Why this will click
Every girl needs a bag. So it’s best to carve your niche in the market by deciding which customers you want to reach and then studying what they want in a bag. Know the trends by reading magazines, watching television shows, and surfing the Internet. Nothing works like word-of-mouth, so make beautiful beaded bags that people will talk about and recommend to their friends, associates, and relatives.
* 2 pieces of satin or other cloth (about a quarter of a yard each), P36 to P50
* Assorted plastic beads, P50 to P100
* Nylon strings
* 3 Lobster locks
* 2 double-ring locks
* Needles and thread
* A ruler or tape-measure
6 Easy Steps to Make the Beaded Bag
1. Cut the satin cloth to a quarter of a yard. ( You’ll need two pieces of cloth for the main bag and the lining, so make sure the sheets are of the same size.)
2. Fold the cloth and put about half an inch allowance for stitches later. Use pins to secure the sides.
3. Sew the beads into the cloth based on your design, but remember it’s best to have a design in mind before you start the beadwork on the satin cloth, which becomes the bag’s exterior.
4. When you’ve completed the beadwork, close the edges of the two satin cloths and then sew them together either by hand or by sewing machine.
5. Attach the cloth where the lining and the bag’s exterior are placed to back. Do the basting first to make sure the cloth stays in place, and then seal the sides of the main bag by sewing them together. Go for a clean look using blanket stitches if you’re sewing by hand. Make sure that edges are aligned and the stitches are not crooked. Turn the bag inside out later.
6. Sew two small meal rings into the two sides of the bag where the straps are to be attached. To make the strap, put beads on either nylon thread or wire and then attach two ends with lobster lock. (The strap is detachable for this bag.) Use pliers to attach and use comfortable length for straps.
Organize your workspace. Put your beads, thread, locks, scissors, and strings in canisters and stick your pins and needles into cushions so you won’t lose or displace them.
How Much Will I make
Add 30 to 50 percent to your total cost and you get your markup. If you’re hiring sewers and “beaders,” factor in their pay when setting your price. It’s possible to recover investment quickly with your first customer, but your success will depend on how your market your bags.
Source: Entrepreneur 45 Home-Base Business Ideas Book